Graphic Arts Industry Glossary
Table of Contents

About Us
Contact Us
Request Info

Fast Find

Drop down to the section of your interest, if your looking for something not on here drop us a line and we be glad to inform you.*** All trademarks or product names mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners.

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M
N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

Walk-off - In lithography, the failure of part of an image to adhere to the metal plate during printing.

Warm color - In printing, a color which is on the reddish side.

Wash up - To clean ink from rollers, fountains, an other components of a press.

Washup - Removing printing ink from a press, washing the rollers and blanket. Certain ink colors require multiple washups to avoid ink and chemical contamination.

Waste - A term for planned spoilage.

Water fountain - Reservoir on a press to hold fountain solution.

Waterless printing - In offset, printing on a press using special waterless plates and no dampening system.

Watermark - A distinctive design created in paper at the time of manufacture that can be easily seen by holding the paper up to a light.

Wax engraving - In letterpress platemaking, a method of engraving or impressing lines or type in wax, thereby creating a mold which can be electrotyped. Used for ruled forms.

Web - A roll of paper used in web or rotary printing.

Web break - Break in paper running through a web press, causing production to stop.

Web offset - An offset press in which the paper is fed from a roll and printed on both sides in one continuous web as opposed to sheet-fed presses.

Web Press - A printing press that prints onto a continuous sheet of paper, fed from a large roll (called a web). Web presses print much faster than sheet-fed presses.

Web tension - The amount of pull or tension applied in the direction of travel of a web of paper by the action of a web-fed press.

Web - A roll of printing paper.

Weight - See Basis weight (of paper).

Wet strength - A measure of the physical strength properties of paper when saturated with water expressed in terms of wet tensile strength, wet bursting strength etc.

Wetting agent - Chemical agent used to overcome the reluctance of a liquid to spread over the surface of a dissimilar material by reduction of the surface tension of the liquid.

White space - Designer term referring to non-image area that frames or sets off copy.

Widow - In composition, a single word in a line by itself, ending a paragraph; frowned upon in good typography.

Window - A cut out area in a carton that reveals the contents therein.

Window adhesive - An adhesive used to bond various types of window films to a carton, enabling the interior of the carton to be seen.

Window - Block of masking material on a mechanical that shows position of a photograph or other visual element. Also, an area cut out of masking material.

Wipe-on plate - In offset-lithography, a plate on which a light-sensitive coating is wiped on or applied with a coating machine.

Wire side - That side of a sheet of paper or paperboard which was formed in contact with the wire of the paper machine during the process of manufacture.

Wire-O Binding - A type of spiral binding comprising a double set of wire loops inserted into punched or drilled holes along the binding edge of a set of pages.

Wire-O - Trade name for method of mechanical binding using double loops of wire.

With the grain - Folding or feeding paper into the press or folder parallel to the grain of the paper.

Woodcut - An illustration in lines of varying thickness, cut in relief on plank-grain wood, for the purpose of making prints.

Word processor - A typewriter connected to a computerized recording medium to input, edit and output data.

Work and tumble -To print one side of a sheet of paper, then turn the sheet over from gripper to back using the same side guide to print the second side.

Work and turn - To print one side of a sheet of paper, then turn the sheet over from left to right and print the second side. The same gripper and plate is used for printing both sides.

Work order - Form used by printing companies to specify and schedule production of jobs and record the time, materials, and supplies that each job requires to complete.

Working film - Graphic arts negatives still loose or not composited.

Wove finish - Relatively smooth finish on paper achieved by moderate calendering.

Wove paper - Paper having uniform unlined surface and a soft, smooth finish.

Wraparound plate - In rotary letterpress, a thin, one-piece relief plate which is wrapped around the press cylinder like an offset plate. Can be used for direct or indirect (offset) printing.

Wrinkles - Creases in paper occurring during printing. In inks, the uneven surface formed during drying.

Wrong font - In proofreading, the mark "WF" indicates a letter or figure of the wrong size or face.

Wrong reading - Image that is backwards compared to the original.

Check out:
Quality Information Packaging -
Quality Looseleaf - Slipcases - Portfolios - Multimedia Packaging - POP
Tabs and Indexes -
Your Source for Quality Tabs and Indexes