Graphic Arts Industry Glossary
Table of Contents

About Us
Contact Us
Request Info

Fast Find

Drop down to the section of your interest, if your looking for something not on here drop us a line and we be glad to inform you.*** All trademarks or product names mentioned herein are the property of their respective owners.

A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M
N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z

R print - Color photographic print made from transparency without using internegative.

R.S.C. - A corrugated box with outer flaps that meet. Inner flaps do not meet unless length and width happen to be the same. Abbreviation for regular slotted container.

Ragged left - Type that is justified to the right margin and the line lengths vary on the left.

Ragged right - Type that is justified to the left margin and the line lengths vary on the right.

Railroad board - Heavy board paper used for posters and signs.

Raised printing. Alternate term for Thermography.

RC paper. Resin-coated paper for typesetting and PMTs that, when properly processed, will not yellow.

Readable. Characteristic of messages that are written and edited and set in type selected and composed to make them easy to understand.

Ream - Five hundred sheets of paper.

Rebind - The existing binding is removed, fan glued and cased into a new cover.

Recase - The existing text block is cased back into its original cover.

Recto - The right-hand page of an open book, usually bearing the odd page number.

Reducers - In printing inks, varnishes, solvents, oily or greasy compounds used to reduce the consistency for printing. In photography, chemicals used to reduce the density of negative or positive images or the size of halftone dots (dot etching).

Reflection copy - In photography, illustrative copy that is viewed and must be photographed by light reflected from its surface. Examples are photographs, dye-transfer prints, etc.

Register - In printing, fitting of two or more printing images in exact alignment with each other.

Register marks - Cross-hair lines or marks on film, plates, and paper that guide strippers, platemakers, pressmen, and bindery personnel in processing a print order from start to finish.

Register - To position printing in proper relation to edges of paper and other printing on the same sheet. Such printing is said to be in register.

Registration - The alignment of two or more printed images so the resulting image is sharp.

Relative humidity (RH) - The amount of water vapor present in the atmosphere expressed as a percentage of the maximum that could be present at the same temperature.

Release coating - Thin coating of material (usually silicone) applied to a release paper or film. Enables PSA to be unwound from itself and/or the PSA to be removed from the release liner for lamination to a substrate.

Remoistenable Glue -

Reproduction proof - In composition, the proof of type form for purpose of photographic reproduction.

Reprographics - General term for xerography, diazo, and other methods of copying used by designers, engineers, and architects.

Reprography - Copying and duplicating

Resin - Organic solids or liquids of high molecular weight, primarily used as binders, in inks and coatings.

Resolution - The size and quantity of dots that make up a printed page, a computer screen, or a scanned image.

Retouch - To enhance a photo or correct its flaws.

Reverse - A subject in which the background prints in the color of the ink used and the type matter or image is unprinted.

Reverse angle doctor blade - In flexography, similar to doctor blade in gravure except used with much lighter pressure and a reverse angle on the anilox roll.

Reverse Plate - A printing plate in which the tonal values are exactly opposite from the original art. A reverse plate is made from a film positive instead of a film negative.

Reverse printing - Printing of solid background behind tab or body copy with actual copy appearing in colour of unprinted paper.

Reverse Type - Type that drops out of the background color and appears the color of the paper.

Rewind Slitting - The method is for producing multiple cuts per cycle. This has a longer set-up time than baloney slitting. The process actually rewinds the material layer by layer across a set of pre-spaced knives and spacers, onto a rewind shaft that is set with pre-slit cores and spacers, with each individual slit roll wound on individual tension-controlled cores.

RGB - Abbreviation for red, green, and blue, the three colors used in cameras.

Right reading - Copy reading correctly (normally) from left to right.

Right-angle fold - In binding, a term used for two or more folds that are at 90° angles to each other.

Rights - Conditions and terms of licensing agreement between copyright owner and client.

Rigid Box - A hard, non-collapsible box, also known as a set-up box.

Rip film - A method of making printing negatives from PostScript files created by desktop publishing.

Roll coating - The process of applying a material to the surface of paper or board with a roller and subsequent smoothing of that coating by reverse rollers.

Roll set curl - Deformation caused by the tendency of paperboard to conform to the curvature of the roll or cored on which it is wound.

Roller stripping - In lithography, a term denoting that the ink does not adhere to the metal ink rollers on a press.

Roll-Out - Ink put down by hand roller on poly or paper for testing or sampling purposes to determine color or other characteristics.

Rosette - A cluster resembling the petals on a rose, created by the overlapping of the dots that make up the four-color process images.

Rotagravure printing - An intaglio process of rotary printing from tiny etched cells in a copper covered roller surfaces. Often overchromed for longer wear. Does fine printing along with half-tones and gradations of tones. Uses solvent type, fast drying inks.

Rotary die - A curved cutting die, used in a rotary die cutter.

Rotary die cutter - A machine that cuts and scores with rotating (rotary) dies. Principal benefits are speed and long die life.

Rotary layout machine - A rotary cutter without feed, printing or other sections, used to test rotary dies.

Rotary proofing machine - A rotary cuter without feed, printing or other sections, used to test rotary dies and provide samples.

Rotary rule description - This rule is described as : (1) Serrated, non-serrated, scattered, or scalloped. (2) Side bevel or center. (3) Curved or straight. In case of curved rule, the pitch circle and circumference is specified. (4) Notched or not-notched. (5) Thickness in points. (6) Height of the rule.

Rotary wood description - Description as a (1) Number of plys. (2) Thickness. (3) Length. (4) Inside diameter.

Rotogravure - Gravure printing using a web press.

Rough layout - Simple sketch giving general idea of size and placement of type and art.

Roughness - A relative lack of smoothness to the paperboard surface.

Rounding - Shaping the book back to be convex.

Routing - In letterpress, the cutting away of the not-printing areas of a plate.

Rub - Abrasion caused from friction between two moving surfaces.

Rub score - In rotary dies, the rubber places along scoring rule.

Rubber ejection - Rubber used to eject the finished product from the die.

Rubber slot - A special rubber used for ejection in the parts of steel rule die that cut the slots in a box.

Rubber stripping - In rotary dies, the rubber used to eject scraps.

Rubbering or corking a die - Glue process or strips of cork or rubber along both sides of the cutting knives for the purpose of ejecting the material being cut off the die after cutting.

Rub-proof - In printing, an ink that has reached maximum dryness and does not mar with normal abrasion.

Rubylith - A stable base, clear material, coated with a thin coating which peels away. Used for cutting masks in artwork operations.

Rule 41 - A rule in the Uniform & Consolidated Freight Classification of the rail carriers containing the construction requirement for corrugated and solid fibreboard boxes.

Rule puller - A hand tool used to remove steel rule from a cutting die.

Rule, creasing - For scoring or creasing with round edge.

Rule, cutting - For scoring with sharp edge.

Rule, other - Leads or steel spacers.

Rule, perforating - To make perforated cuts.

Rule - A line, used for a variety of typographic effects.

Rules - Line of various thickness used as ornamentation or to separate columns in tabular manner.

Rules up - Quality check performed after press run by preliminary on a line up table to determine bleeds, trim, and bindery folds by way of drawing lines on a signature indicated by job specifications.

Ruling - See Screen ruling.

Run around - In composition, the term describing a type area set in measures that are adjusted to fit around a picture or another element of the design.

Run - Total number of copies ordered or printed.

Runnability - Paper properties that affect the ability of the paper to run on the press.

Running head or foot - Title or other information at the top or bottom of every page of a publication.

Check out:
Quality Information Packaging -
Quality Looseleaf - Slipcases - Portfolios - Multimedia Packaging - POP
Tabs and Indexes -
Your Source for Quality Tabs and Indexes